Friday, November 2, 2007

Starry Night

A few nights ago around 1am, I dropped by the camels on my way to bed.

Wandering about the pasture I first found Delaney and HiHo standing together under a tree. Then I came upon Everest, Google and Purni kushed down in a pod of three out in mid pasture.

Walking further I came to Jelly, Peaceful and Muffin. Peaceful was sitting with the other two standing nearby. They were under a stand of trees, gazing out into the pasture and the clear night sky. The moon was close to full and the air was brisk. It was quiet. There was a very slight, intermittent, breeze.

I joined them, standing there, letting time go, letting my mind go, feeling my head open up to the starry, vaulted sky.

It's a bit hard to describe next what arose. As I stood with the camels, hearing their gentle sighs, and grunts, gazing out into the night... I perceived "inseparableness". Meaningless time travelled nowhere. No motion, almost. There was some kind of motion but not in any one direction. There was no strife; no war anywhere, no conflict in the heart anywhere. There were no "results" to anything. There was just this indescribable feeling that I dipped into, that the camels seemed to be bathing in. And there were no, or very little, differences there.

After a while my fingers were turning white with the cold so I quietly whispered to them and made my way across the pasture to my bed of blankets. The big camels shadowy bulks continued to bathe under the trees, under the stars.

Adi Da Samraj once mentioned that, "Camels view the world from a unique point of view." Of course, all creatures are unique in their "view-points", but for Adi Da to bother to mention this in reference to the camels is a pointer for me to take special note. The camels have something I can learn from; that humans can learn from. Something accessible, something transformative if we contact it. This I am finding to be true.

Without even riding on their backs these camels are capable of taking us "places" that we might otherwise never visit, or know. For me, they are bringing me back, healing my heart, taking me right to "here".

2 comments:

  1. That was beautiful! Likewise, your post is bringing me back to that Sacred Place, healing me.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stuart, for your eloquence.
    And for what you do every day.
    I haven't spent much time with camels yet, but I feel the same way about horses. The hard work is minute compared to the spaciousness of the communion I have shared with these 4-leggeds. Immersed in the Great Mystery, the place where my mind is nothing, and I like it! annie

    ReplyDelete