Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Back at the Trough

At this point Peaceful Baba pretty much has the hang of things in terms of food sharing. This morning the four of us, including Jelly and Muffin, stood quietly around the grain trough. Peaceful, to my right, was grumbling a bit. Muffin circled a little and Jelly, at my left, kept gesturing for the food by stepping back an inch or two, with a bit of head winding added to his request. We stood this way for about five minutes until the three of them settled down and the bargaining subsided.

When everyone was calm I whispered, "Gooo-ood...!" and leaned back slightly to invite them in. All three heads came down gently and quietly, and began vacuuming the grain up, calmly eating until it was all gone.

In the upper pasture, Everest galloped up to the food bowl as I poured the grain. As he closed in on me I gently nickered, "ah!" and he pulled up gracefully and respectfully stood with me. "Gooo-d..." I signaled and he began eating...

As Google Mama and Purnimama galloped in I brought them to a gentle lope with another "ah.." as they drew down to the food bowls. And I let HiHo and Delaney figure it out for themselves this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment